If you are planning to take an undergraduate course for the USA, you need to select the college(s) where you want to apply and contact them. The university and college release their admission standards and decide which applicant should take admission. Therefore, it is important to write a magnificent LOR (Letter Of Recommendation) and SOP(Statement Of Purpose) that will attract and grab their attention. But before you write LOR and SOP, you need to apply to that college or university.
- A proof of your successful completion of secondary school certificates (12 years of schooling).
- A score of English proficiency test (TOEFL,SAT, ACT).
- Evidence of financial support (I-20 form).
- Diploma or acceptable certification of graduation from high school in your country.
- Letter of recommendation(s).
- Statement of purpose.
Steps for admission in the USA
- Foremost, you need to select a college of your desire and contact them. You submit an application form that can be downloaded from their site and request the application form via email or airmail. You can also download the application form from their website, read it as per your comfort and apply exactly like a regular form. It is advisable to submit the application form to multiple colleges(if you wish) so that you have the option to join another college if rejected.
- The cost of an application form is US$35 to US$100 so if you want to apply for multiple colleges, choose it wisely. The money invested is non-refundable, even if you don’t take admission in it.
- Once you have selected the college or university and applied for the application form, you should confirm if your form was received well by them.
- When you are submitting your form, they will ask for you to submit your TOEFL score. TOEFL is a mandatory test for international students applying for a graduate course. The minimum score required by the universities for admission is 570 (paper-based test) and 230 (computer-based test). They will review your marks earned during the last four years of secondary school together with your country’s national secondary school examinations.
- They will demand the school you have attended to mail the copy of the academic record or “transcript” to the schools you are applying. You need to submit these documents before the deadline in case you miss out something, you can submit later.
- Now, you need to schedule your admission test taken all over the world at the same time to check their aptitude and achievement. It includes SAT, or ACT as per their specification. The minimum score for SAT is 1400 and for ACT is 21. This is taken in addition to the standardized test i.e. TOEFL. The scores are directly sent to the admission office and mailed to you.
- Simultaneously, you need to prepare a Letter Of Recommendation (LOR) and a statement Of Purpose (SOP). A LOR is a signed statement from a person that knows you well professionally or has taught you in the subject related to the course you are applying to. It should list your positive and negative qualities, strengths and other such information. The teacher or writer must indicate his position, how long he/she has known the applicant and in what capacity. He/she needs to answer the questions asked in the form like the purpose of coming to their college. In addition, there can be a certain format for the form and in case it is not, you can answer the way you want.
- Those letters that do not give much information, can be rejected, and his admission process will be canceled. You can submit two LORs that will increase the chances of your selection in that college or university.
- An SOP is a personal essay that structures, our application and helps in better evaluation for both admission and financial aid. It gives them a significant impression of you as an individual and gives a chance to market yourself. It includes your reasons for a particular course, the suitability of your education and experience for the chosen course, your personal interests and career goals. You should check if they have their essay questions and format.
- You need to submit a financial form (I-20) that will show the proof of your funds while you were submitting the documents. Either you are capable of or incapable (take loans) of your financial aid; you need to show them that will condition your admission factors. The evidence is also expected for your visa application.
- The last step is to schedule an interview. Once you are done with the above process and submitted the required money of application form, you need to appear for your interview and after that wait for their confirmation letter that will be mailed to you.
It is easy to charm any person in face to face conversation. As a result, it is substantial to charm them through our writing skills and allowing them to know you better in an essay. A few things to keep in mind-
- When you are writing an essay, you need to be relaxed as your essay (SOP) will be reflecting you and your features. So, you should be calm, creative, reflective and thoughtful.
- Give yourself plenty of time and ask for help if needed. You should take a long break and come back to your essay with a fresh perspective.
- Most important “be yourself”. An honest human with flaws as no one is perfect. Don't exaggerate or fake your essay by including fancy stories.
- Write all the answers asked by the university in a proper format.
Language proficiency test tips
To compare your performance with other applicants, they set a parameter i.e. to qualify the language proficiency test. You have to submit scores of the standardized tests that include TOEFL, SAT, and ACT depending on the university you will apply.
Some of the tips-
- You need to practice more and give online tests that will make you better and can perform well.
- You should focus more on grammar and vocabulary that will take you a step closer to your dream college.
- Get a habit of reading, writing, speaking and listening to English texts, novels, movies, news and so on that will enhance your English.
- Create a test environment and practice in a similar setting.
- Be confident and relax while appearing for the test.
- Follow the whole instructions and do not rush for completion as you have been preparing for it a year.
An interviewer checks the applicant capabilities and their interests in the institution from the interview process. This process is more of the exchange of information and a platform to show their talents. It will be a telephonic interview conducted by a university’s representative.
This step may or may not be compulsory for everyone, depending on the institutions. If you are selected for the interview process, you do not panic. Over here are some of the primary pieces of information that will be helpful in your selection.
- You need to critique yourself i.e. analyze yourself and have an answer for their every question.
- You should market yourself as if you are being sold in the market and thus, brief them about your strengths, weakness, positivity, long-term goal and so on.
- Do research on your school and its program.
- Revise your LOR and SOP as questions may be asked from it.
- You also need to relax and respond to these questions. In case you do not know the answer of a few questions, simply say “I do not know”.
Hither is a sample of questions
- Give me your introduction/brief me about yourself.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What was your contribution to the school?
- What are your long-term goals?
- What do you enjoy doing in free time?
- What are the things you are interested in?
- Why do you want to take admission in our college?